NUS Scotland’s first national event of the year, the Gathering, brings together university and college student officers and association staff from across the country to form a more connected and more powerful student movement in Scotland. By encouraging students’ associations to share plans and ideas for the year ahead, the Gathering will build on officer induction in students’ associations, and training delivered through NUS’ Lead and Change courses.
Last year, students’ associations made their mark on the Scottish Parliament elections. We spoke loudly and clearly for a right to further education support, fairer funding in higher education and improved mental health support, resulting in the Scottish Government committing to a full review of student support. Now it’s time to build on that work to make students’ lives better. With the constitutional framework in flux at a Scottish and European level, it’s crucial that students’ associations are strong enough to navigate these rough waters.
The programme this year reflects our ambition to equip students’ associations with the knowledge and skills they need to succeed on campus, as well as nationally. Delegates will learn all about NUS Scotland’s priorities but crucially the focus will be on how you and your students can be involved in our work, as well as opportunities to let us know how you’d like to see our work delivered this year.
There is a mix of knowledge and skills based workshops and our hope is that there will be something at this event for every kind of officer and staff member, no matter what your role or interests.
At the Gathering you can expect to:
• Learn from student officers across the country on the issues affecting students locally and nationally.
• Develop a mix of practical skills and an understanding of issues that will help you to campaign, and work in partnership to achieve change for students.
• Form networks with student officers from colleges and universities across Scotland.
The Gathering is most suitable for:
• Lead officers of students’ associations, including Presidents and Vice Presidents, whether full-time or part-time.
• Students’ Association staff members, particularly those working in representation, engagement or campaigns.
Registration fees are:
£105 plus VAT - to include accommodation on Thursday 18 August
£80 plus VAT - no accommodation
Both delegate rates will include teas, coffees and lunch, as well as dinner and evening entertainment.
There is the option during the registration process to book accommodation the night before.
Registration is now closed!